This article describes how to change the letter assigned to a drive (disk) in Windows.
(!) Changing a drive letter may harm your applications that use this drive letter. Before doing this, please make sure no applications are tied to the drive letter that you are going to change.
Do the following to change the letter:
- Right-click on Start -> Computer. Click Manage:
- This will take you to the Computer Management panel. Go to the Disk management tab:
- Locate the partition whose letter you want to change and right-click on it. Click Change Drive Letter and Paths:
- Select the letter you want to change and click the Change button:
- 5. Select the letter you need to assign from the drop-down list:
- Click OK:
- You will see a warning. If there are no other applications accessing disk at the time, press Yes to confirm:
- You will see the drive letter has changed:
- Windows Vista, Windows 7: Microsoft Help & How-to: Change, add, or remove a drive letter
- Windows XP: Microsoft Support: How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP